Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More Watercolor Pencil Experiments


Following up on yesterday's experiments this is another quick watercolor pencil/waterbrush sketch based on a photo I took of a Greater Yellowlegs at Heislerville WMA. I've switched from the cheaper reccyled paper I had been using, where paper buckling was a real problem, to a proper watercolor paper. That has certainly helped the buckling.

I've also tried to do all my color blending with the pencils themselves before using the waterbrush to turn them into watercolors. That's been less successful. I'm unhappy with the colors and values. But I'm not going to go back into them now while the paper is wet. Pam Johnson Brickell has said that she is able to get color blending with this medium if she waits until the paper is completely dry. So that will be the next step. This is an improvement over past watercolor pencil work but we'll just have to see what happens next.

I do have to say though that all artistic media take awhile to learn. You suffer through them for awhile, sometimes quite awhile, and then one day you say: Aha! That's the way it's supposed to work. What a great medium!

No comments: