Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Field Box and Fly-Tying



A number of years ago when I used to fly fish for trout I decided to explore fly-tying, the tying of very small lures meant to imitate insects and other trout food. I'd avoided it for years even though I hated paying for lures tied by someone else. The reason I avoided it is that I have big hands and lures are basically very small trinkets that are sewn together. Me as a small seamstress? It didn't seem likely.

Nonetheless I finally got the hang of it and learned to work 'very small.' I have that same feeling with my new Field Box. It is so small. All in all though it's easier to use than fly-tying materials so today I spent another hour before work sketching Canada and Chinese Geese at Valley Green.

Like yesterday they're nothing to brag about and they probably show me more what I still need to learn than they make me happy with the current results. Still I'm not embarrassed to show them, and that says something because I have posted work that I have been embarrassed about in the past. Or maybe the embarrassment just won't hit me until they're posted and it's too late!! Possibly, but I think not. I do like something about these.

Today is supposed to be very warm, about 90. But it couldn't have been a more beautiful day than it was when I was out sketching these. Must be the end of August.

3 comments:

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Oh, contrar'! Love your strokes and shapes, especially on the second sketch. Wundabar! (My phonetic German spelling for wonderful :)

Ken Januski said...

Thanks Pam,

I do feel like I'm heading in the right direction here. Between forcing myself to work from life more often and using real wateccolors I'm happier with my work.

I know I'll continue to do more developed work that will include the use of photos but I think I'll feel much less beholden to the photos thanks to my live work.

We shall see!!

Ken

Publisher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.