Monday, May 31, 2010

The Enjoyment of Experimentation




Part of the fun I think of art, at least for many artists, is the ability to experiment, to just try something and see what happens. I'm not sure how this would translate to artists who paint or draw in great detail but my guess is that they too experiment in their own way.

In any case my recent drawings with Faber-Castell 'Pitt Artist Pen-Brushes' have been largely experiments. I just wanted to see what sort of image I would come up with using them. By definition almost the images would have to look different than my recent watercolors.

I think that you can see in these examples that each subject had me using the pen-brushes somewhat differently. The subjects are: Black Skimmers, Laughing Gulls and Forsters Terns at top, Tree Swallows in middle, and Yellow-rumped Warblers with Beech tree that was just leafing out at bottom.

No comments: