Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Photographic Taste of Spring

<
Louisiana Waterthrush at Wissahickon

Yellow-rumped Warbler at Wissahickon

Northern Rough-winged Swallow at Wissahickon

Oregon Giant Snow Peas


Palm Warbler at Wissahickon


Perennial Arugula


Clintonia at Wissahickon

My friend Ellen at The Spicebush Blog reminded me in my last post that spring is still slow to arrive in some parts of the country. One of the best things about Philadelphia is its early spring. In any case even though I had no intention of showing or taking any more photos I couldn't resist trying to get photos of a singing Louisian Waterthrush today and I did want to show a couple of garden photos. So this is segment number two of Spring Photos - 2013. It's specifically meant for those still awaiting true spring.

It used to be that we would take birding trips, work very hard to hear and then if we were lucky see Louisiana Waterthrush. Then a few years ago I realized how easy it was to at least hear them along the Wissahickon, less than a mile from our house.

I saw and heard the first two last week. Today I heard two more and after an hour's singing finally got a look at one high in a Sycamore. It is surprising how high they will go when they are singing early in the year. Along with him today I finally saw some first of year Yellow-rumped Warblers along with some more Palm Warblers and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. Later  a 'kakaka' exploded in a tree less than six feet away from me. It was a Pileated Woodpecker just feet away. After hiding since December, or possibly just being gone from this area, I seem to see one or two everytime I go out now. Unfortunately the one photo I took is out of focus. Also a photo of a relatively new bird, the Northern Rough-winged Swallow.

The only new wildlflower was what I believe is Clintonia. There was quite a stand of them. But I'll need to wait until they bloom to know for sure. Finally some photos of our Oregon Giant Snow Peas, planted five weeks ago in the hopes that they'd germinate early and be ready by June so that I can replace them with beans or some other crop. And finally an Arugula from the garden. For the last few years our arugula has overwintered, as though it is a perennial. I'll still plant more but it's always nice to have some come through from the following year.

And after the events of Boston yesterday it seems good to remember all that is beautiful and rewarding in the world. Spring in the woods, for those who pay attention, does just that.

No comments: