Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Wilson's Snipe Continued

Wilson's Snipe at Ottawa NWR. Second State of Acrylic Painting by Ken Januski.

When I remember the scene of these Wilson's Snipe at Ottawa NWR I recollect how my hands were so cold I had a very time doing field sketches. Even keeping the binoculars or spotting scope on them was a chilly experience.

But the temperature was probably above 50. Today we finally hit a high of 10. But with the windchill I doubt it feels like it's above zero. Good weather to stay inside and continue this small 9x12 inch acrylic painting. Though I've labeled this the second state I've worked on it three or four times since the first posting.

It's getting better but since I don't really know what I expect it's hard to say how close it is to being done. I was reading another book on Delacroix today, Delacroix: The Late Work , a catalog from a show a number of years ago at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Sadly I didn't see it.


I mention it though for this quote from Delacroix's Journals:

It is really not until Rembrandt that you see the beginning of that harmony between the details and the principal subject which I consider to be one of the most important, if not the most important element in a picture.
 I have to say that rings true to me. And it may be a legitimate goal for this painting. I do know that describes pretty well the picture so far. Adding detail, removing it, etc., etc.

No comments: